I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
According to Merriam-Webster, there are three definitions for the word surrender:
- to agree to stop fighting, hiding, resisting, etc., because you know that you will not win or succeed
- to give the control or use of (something) to someone else
- to allow something (such as a habit or desire) to influence or control you
Part of our sanctification process, becoming more Christ-like ,requires surrender. It is a surrendering of our old ways of the flesh for the new ways of the Spirit. It is surrendering our will for His, our desires for His, our plans for His.
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
In looking at what we are to surrender in light of the definition, we agree to stop fighting with the Lord’s desires, will and plans for our lives because we know we cannot succeed without Him. We need the empowerment of His Spirit working in and through us if we are going to live the lives He created us to live.
Surrender means giving up control to the Lord. This may be the hardest part for us because we like to be in control. This surrendering to the Lord is so we can allow His spirit to influence our thoughts, words and actions.
Surrendering our lives to the Lord isn’t a one time thing, it is something we have to do minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. It is a choice to follow His way our our own. Will you continually surrender yourself to the Lord? Imagine the victories and success you might experience in all aspects of your life if you were ruled and empowered by the Lord rather than yourself!
- Photo by mancuso from http://www.freedigitalphotos.net
- Definition of surrender from http://www.merriam-webster.com
- Scripture from http://www.biblegateway.com